Ellis Island detainment

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
meovino
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 171
Joined: 09 Mar 2019, 16:27
Location: Long Island, New York

Ellis Island detainment

Post by meovino »

My ancestor Amelia Platino immigrated to the USA in 1911, on the ship manifest it said her destination was her brother Lorenzo Platino at 300 N 7th St, Brooklyn. However, for whatever reason (possibly because she was a single woman traveling by herself), Amelia was detained at Ellis Island. I am having trouble making out what her "disposition" was. (It doesn't seem like it was her brother Lorenzo, but I could be wrong). Any help deciphering it would be greatly appreciated. See Line 16 in the attached image.
t715-17670344.jpeg
Matt
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Ellis Island detainment

Post by darkerhorse »

Mrs (Mr) Michelina, Jersey City?
meovino
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 171
Joined: 09 Mar 2019, 16:27
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Ellis Island detainment

Post by meovino »

darkerhorse wrote: 26 May 2022, 22:08 Mrs (Mr) Michelina, Jersey City?
That definitely looks to be it -- thank you! What's interesting is the writing right before that. It looks like it could be _-i-l (something in-law). Possibly s-i-l for sister-in-law? I know that her brother's wife's name was Maria Michela. That's my only guess since Amelia was not married at that time. Maybe it says something else.
Matt
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Ellis Island detainment

Post by darkerhorse »

I think Michelina is a variant or diminutive of Michela.

Maybe what I read as Mrs. is "Maria"?

Sister-in-law is a good guess.
Post Reply