Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 41
Joined: 26 Sep 2023, 02:14

Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

Can someone review my translation of this birth certificate. I struggled a bit with the time of day and don't feel confident it is correct

Name: Paola Gandolfo

Record can be found on page 122, number 357

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 77/Lq2lA3R

In the year one thousand eight hundred and ninety-four, on the twenty-fifth day of February, at ten o'clock and twenty minutes (a.m.) in the communal house. Before me, Paolo Pugliese, Secretary at the third division, delegated by an Act on July 31, 1892 already approved Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Marsala, appeared Vincenzo Gandolfo, aged twenty-seven, carter, domiciled in Marsala, who declared to me that at three o'clock (p.m.) on the twenty-first of the current month, in the house located in Villa Dietro Cappuccini, from Francesca Arini, his wife domiciled with him. A female child was born, and to whom he gave the name of Paola.

Present as witnesses to the above and to this act were Spada Pietro, aged twenty-seven, limemaker?, and Bononno Giovanna, aged sixty?, midwife, both residents of this Municipality.

Having read this document to those present, they all said they could not write, so it was signed by me only.

The Official: P. Pugliese
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo

Post by PippoM »

Road2Gandolfo wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 05:51
In the year one thousand eight hundred and ninety-four, on the twenty-fifth day of February, at ten o'clock and twenty minutes (a.m.) in the communal house. Before me, Paolo Pugliese, Secretary at the third division, delegated by an Act on July 31, 1892 already approved Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Marsala, appeared Vincenzo Gandolfo, aged twenty-seven, carter, domiciled in Marsala, who declared to me that at three o'clock (p.m.) on the twenty-first of the current month, in the house located in Villa Dietro Cappuccini, from Francesca Arini, his wife domiciled with him. A female child was born, and to whom he gave the name of Paola.

Present as witnesses to the above and to this act were Spada Pietro, aged twenty-seven, Mortar maker (?) I don't know if limemaker means the same, and Bonomo Giovanna, aged sixty, midwife, both residents of this Municipality.

Having read this document to those present, they all said they could not write, so it was signed by me only.

The Official: P. Pugliese
One question, for my English: I thought that "o' clock" was used only for "exact" time. Instead, you say "ten o'clock and twenty minutes". Is it correct in English, or is a literal translation from Italian?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 41
Joined: 26 Sep 2023, 02:14

Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

Yes, you are correct. I had the literal translation. I would say "ten twenty' as well. Thank you for taking the time to review. I appreciate it!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

@Road2Gandolfo

Sorry, I should've said something about the "o'clock" thing ages ago, but for fear of sounding pedantic I left it. Also I wondered whether maybe Americans said it that way and intended raising it with a friend who is American. I'm glad that Pippo raised it with you.

Angela
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 41
Joined: 26 Sep 2023, 02:14

Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

That's okay. I'm happy to have clarified for you and will have to be sure I translate properly going forward
Post Reply