Can someone review my translation of this birth certificate. I struggled a bit with the time of day and don't feel confident it is correct
Name: Paola Gandolfo
Record can be found on page 122, number 357
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 77/Lq2lA3R
In the year one thousand eight hundred and ninety-four, on the twenty-fifth day of February, at ten o'clock and twenty minutes (a.m.) in the communal house. Before me, Paolo Pugliese, Secretary at the third division, delegated by an Act on July 31, 1892 already approved Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Marsala, appeared Vincenzo Gandolfo, aged twenty-seven, carter, domiciled in Marsala, who declared to me that at three o'clock (p.m.) on the twenty-first of the current month, in the house located in Villa Dietro Cappuccini, from Francesca Arini, his wife domiciled with him. A female child was born, and to whom he gave the name of Paola.
Present as witnesses to the above and to this act were Spada Pietro, aged twenty-seven, limemaker?, and Bononno Giovanna, aged sixty?, midwife, both residents of this Municipality.
Having read this document to those present, they all said they could not write, so it was signed by me only.
The Official: P. Pugliese
Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo
-
Road2Gandolfo
- Rookie

- Posts: 41
- Joined: 26 Sep 2023, 02:14
Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo
One question, for my English: I thought that "o' clock" was used only for "exact" time. Instead, you say "ten o'clock and twenty minutes". Is it correct in English, or is a literal translation from Italian?Road2Gandolfo wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 05:51
In the year one thousand eight hundred and ninety-four, on the twenty-fifth day of February, at ten o'clock and twenty minutes (a.m.) in the communal house. Before me, Paolo Pugliese, Secretary at the third division, delegated by an Act on July 31, 1892 already approved Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Marsala, appeared Vincenzo Gandolfo, aged twenty-seven, carter, domiciled in Marsala, who declared to me that at three o'clock (p.m.) on the twenty-first of the current month, in the house located in Villa Dietro Cappuccini, from Francesca Arini, his wife domiciled with him. A female child was born, and to whom he gave the name of Paola.
Present as witnesses to the above and to this act were Spada Pietro, aged twenty-seven, Mortar maker (?) I don't know if limemaker means the same, and Bonomo Giovanna, aged sixty, midwife, both residents of this Municipality.
Having read this document to those present, they all said they could not write, so it was signed by me only.
The Official: P. Pugliese
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
Road2Gandolfo
- Rookie

- Posts: 41
- Joined: 26 Sep 2023, 02:14
Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo
Yes, you are correct. I had the literal translation. I would say "ten twenty' as well. Thank you for taking the time to review. I appreciate it!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo
@Road2Gandolfo
Sorry, I should've said something about the "o'clock" thing ages ago, but for fear of sounding pedantic I left it. Also I wondered whether maybe Americans said it that way and intended raising it with a friend who is American. I'm glad that Pippo raised it with you.
Angela
Sorry, I should've said something about the "o'clock" thing ages ago, but for fear of sounding pedantic I left it. Also I wondered whether maybe Americans said it that way and intended raising it with a friend who is American. I'm glad that Pippo raised it with you.
Angela
-
Road2Gandolfo
- Rookie

- Posts: 41
- Joined: 26 Sep 2023, 02:14
Re: Translation of Birth Record - Paola Gandolfo
That's okay. I'm happy to have clarified for you and will have to be sure I translate properly going forward