Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
italian059
Master
Master
Posts: 955
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36

Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Post by italian059 »

Would someone please translate this record. I am mainly having trouble with the names but would appreciate a translation of the whole record. It is #355 on the left side of the page.
Thanks so much,
Mary

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... g=en&i=388
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Post by Tessa78 »

Until someone can verify... here is what I see:

Matteo Briganti's parents are Paolo Briganti and Grazia Salemi
Arcangela Pomilla's parents are Biagio Pomilla and Nicolina Nicastro
Also mentioned are (Witnesses? = the names appear in several records) Michelangelo Faija(?) and Leoneluca Panipinto.

T.
italian059
Master
Master
Posts: 955
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36

Re: Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Post by italian059 »

Thank you so much. I have a Biagio Pomilla and a Nicolina di Frisco already in my tree. Others on Ancestry.com have listed them as the parents. I was trying to find Arcangela’s baptismal just to verify and see what is says but am unable to locate. Any suggestions? Thanks again. Mary
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Post by erudita74 »

Mary

I had a chance several days ago to go through baptism indices for Corleone and didn’t find Archangela listed in the baptismal indices there. I suggest that you look through some of the indices for the churches in other towns in the diocese. Bear in mind, that first time brides in Sicily were often very young, even as young as 12. So she could have been born even in the first few years of the 1800s, since the marriage took place in 1815. The record reads that the parents were married couples of this town, but Archangela could still have been baptized somewhere else.

Erudita
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Post by mmogno »

Tessa78 wrote: 14 Jun 2025, 16:18 Until someone can verify... here is what I see:

1st October 1815

Matteo Briganti's parents are Paolo Briganti and Grazia Salemi
Arcangela Pomilla's parents are Biagio Pomilla and Nicolina Nicastro
Also mentioned are (Witnesses? = the names appear in several records) Michelangelo Faija(?) and Leoneluca Panipinto.

T.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Post by erudita74 »

Mary

There is an Archangela di Puma born to Biagio di Puma and Nicolina di Frisco. Baptism record is on folio 42, left side bottom record, Corleone baptisms 1791 to 1801. Image 350 of 472. Have you been able to prove that Biagio di Puma’s surname changed in spelling to Pomilla at some point? I recall you raised the possibility. Interesting is that, in his 1796 marriage to Nicolina di Frisco, her mother Arcangela’s surname was Castro not Nicastro.

Erudita

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 15&lang=en
italian059
Master
Master
Posts: 955
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36

Re: Help with marriage record for Mattheo Briganti

Post by italian059 »

Erudita,
I saw that record and do believe that is Arcangela. This is Biagio's Baptismal. It reads Puma, Pomilla on it. Last record on left side of page. What do you think? Thanks so much for all your research. I really do appreciate it.
Mary

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915
Post Reply