Looking for information about my great-grandfather from Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Welitted
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Jul 2025, 08:38

Looking for information about my great-grandfather from Sicily

Post by Welitted »

Hello everyone,

My name is Rachel Mancini, and I live in Chicago, Illinois. I have recently started researching my Italian roots and have come across this forum which is a great resource and community, so thank you in advance to anyone reading this!

I am trying to find out about my great-grandfather, Salvatore Di Benedetto, who was born around 1885–1890 in or near Termini Imerese, Sicily (Province of Palermo). He immigrated to the United States around 1905–1910, possibly coming via New York. Family lore says he worked as a barber and eventually settled in Pennsylvania before moving to Chicago.

Here's what I know so far:

His name: Salvatore Di Benedetto

Born: circa 1885–1890 in Sicily (possibly Termini Imerese)

Married: Maria Rosa (maiden name unknown)

Children: My grandfather Anthony Di Benedetto, born 1918 in the United States

There may have been a brother named Giuseppe who remained in Sicily

I've searched Ellis Island records but haven't found an exact match, the spelling of the surname may be different. I'm also not sure of the exact birth date or parents' names, which makes things difficult.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Looking for information about my great-grandfather from Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome!

A few more details please.

Where was Anthony born?

When did Salvatore die? And where?

Were there other children born to Salvatore and Maria Rosa?

Why do you believe he was from Termini Imerese?

T.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Looking for information about my great-grandfather from Sicily

Post by mmogno »

When and where did Salvatore marry Maria Rosa?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Post Reply