Ita

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
jmazzu
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Nov 2019, 01:31

Ita

Post by jmazzu »

I found this index entry on the AnteNati website for Cortale, Cantanzaro. Can someone tell me if entry number 7 is Guiseppe Bilotta?

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 49/0Zo81n6

If so, could I get help translating the actual record which I believe is this link:

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 49/5K1WpXj

Thank You
Julie
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ita

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes, entry No 7 is for Giuseppe Bilotta, but you have linked us to the wrong record. His Birth Registration No is not 7. That number 7 is basically keeping a tally of the records. If you look closely you’ll see that the index is set up in alphabetical order of surname. If you look at the fourth column “Giorno della nascita” (“Day of birth”) you’ll see that he was born on 7 March so you need to search this year by date of birth).

Birth No 30: Giuseppe Bilotta:
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 49/5g3abdK

I haven’t got time to translate it at the moment but if no one else does will come back later in the day.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ita

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here is the translation. The script sure is something so it might need a tweak or two.

Birth No 30: Giuseppe Bilotta:
Registered in Cortale on 8 March 1852

Appearing was Francesco Bilotta ....?, 30 yo, Forese (countryman, farmer, agriculture hand labourer) living in Cortale, District of Donnafiore. He presented a male baby who he reported was born from Maria Cirarso?, his wife, 30 yo, and from himself the, declarant, details as above. The baby was born on 7 March 1852 and was given the name of Giuseppe. He was baptised on 8 March 1852 in the church of Santa Maria Cattolica – I think. It looks to be abbreviated “S M C” or not?.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 49/5g3abdK

Angela
jmazzu
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Nov 2019, 01:31

Re: Ita

Post by jmazzu »

Thank you so much
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ita

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome for the help.

Angela
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Ita

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 12 May 2026, 08:23 Here is the translation. The script sure is something so it might need a tweak or two.

Birth No 30: Giuseppe Bilotta:
Registered in Cortale on 8 March 1852

Appearing was Francesco Bilotta Mosca?, 30 yo, Forese (countryman, farmer, agriculture hand labourer) living in Cortale, rione Donnafiori. He presented a male baby who he reported was born from Maria Cirarso?, his wife, 30 yo, and from himself the, declarant, details as above. The baby was born on 7 March 1852 and was given the name of Giuseppe. He was baptised on 8 March 1852 in the church of Santa Maria Cattolica – I think. It looks to be abbreviated “S M C” or not?.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 49/5g3abdK

Angela
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ita

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

@mmogno

Thank you for checking over this and making the necessary alterations.

Yes, I was reading Mosca too, but I grew up understanding “na mosca” was “a fly”. So in this case it is a double surname - maybe?

Also, I translated the word “rione” to “District”.

I can see now that the name reads Donnafiori with an "i" at the end.

I hope all is well, G. It’s been a while since we have crossed paths on the forum.

Angela
Post Reply