Calabrian website

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite
Posts: 387
Joined: 01 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Calabrian website

Post by Poipuo4 »

http://www.tropeamagazine.it/notai/

I did a google search for a family name and came across this. It looks like it is from the archives of Vibo Valentia, but can someone tell me what Archivi Notarili means.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Calabrian website

Post by wldspirit »

Going to take a shot at this....my Italian is so-so.......

Archivi - Archive

Notarili - Notary

wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 241
Joined: 26 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Calabrian website

Post by Cathynap »

Poipuo,
What is your surname there? I found that same site 2 years ago and found useful info on one of my surnames (Scrugli). Found 2 long articles on Scrugli's there that look promising. I currently have a microfilm from Tropea from the LDS. If it would help you I can keep an eye out for your surname.
User avatar
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite
Posts: 387
Joined: 01 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Calabrian website

Post by Poipuo4 »

Hi, Cathy,

Theses were the two entries with a family name (Insarda).

Insardà Cesare, 1793-1801, Insardà Domenico, 1751-1794, voll.37

Of course, I don't know who these people are. It is too far back for em right now. My Insarda family is from Feroletto della Chiesa, Reggio Calabria.

I did some reading and did find that notaries kept personal indicies of all of the documents that they prepared. I guess at some point when the notary died, these indicies would be given to the town and would serve as an index to their papers. I read about this in an Italian genealogy book. Right now, I am foggy on the details.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Post Reply