"Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
User avatar
runningoat5
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 19 Dec 2007, 06:29
Location: Central Coast, CA

"Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Post by runningoat5 »

I've recently been told by a family member that my relative was born in the city of Li Carta which is supposed to be in Girgenti. I have not been able to make sense of this.

First, I cannot find a Li Carta nor does "Li" seem to be an Italian word to me (though I've only just started learning the language). There is "Gli" but that would not agree with "carta."

Second, Girgenti is not even close a similarly-spelled La Carta, Italy.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help! I hope that I can contribute to this site as well since I am brand new.
User avatar
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 207
Joined: 14 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Post by eyetalgal »

possibly Licata in Agrigento Province
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Post by Biff83 »

Runninggoat,

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Eyetalgal that there's a good chance your relative is from Licata in the province of Agrigento.

If you can give us the name of your relative, perhaps we can locate a ship manifest or other document which can verify this.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Post by PeterTimber »

Girgenti no longer exists as a real place having been renamed Agrigento which is both a city and a capital of the province of the same name. Licata is one of the surrounding towns and villages under the administrative jurisdiction of Agrigento province in Sicily. Your in good hands for any questions or research objectives you may be contemplating. =Peter=
User avatar
runningoat5
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 19 Dec 2007, 06:29
Location: Central Coast, CA

Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Post by runningoat5 »

Licata in Agrigento would make a lot of sense with some of the other family history. Thanks for all your help!
Bryan C. -- Rocket Scientist in Training

Known Family Names: Costanza / Costanzo, Mantia, Luchessi, Maggesi, Cardamone, Ratchford, Petterson, Luddy, Bensinger, Custer, Fritsch / Fritz, Edelman
User avatar
nastygunz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 00:00
Location: NH

Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Post by nastygunz »

hi runningoat, i have kinfolk named licata in aragona that I am working on getting info for dual citizenship, interesting!!
Post Reply