I've recently been told by a family member that my relative was born in the city of Li Carta which is supposed to be in Girgenti. I have not been able to make sense of this.
First, I cannot find a Li Carta nor does "Li" seem to be an Italian word to me (though I've only just started learning the language). There is "Gli" but that would not agree with "carta."
Second, Girgenti is not even close a similarly-spelled La Carta, Italy.
Any ideas?
Thanks for the help! I hope that I can contribute to this site as well since I am brand new.
"Li Carta" and "Girgenti"
- runningoat5
- Newbie

- Posts: 19
- Joined: 19 Dec 2007, 06:29
- Location: Central Coast, CA
Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"
possibly Licata in Agrigento Province
Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"
Runninggoat,
Welcome to the forum!
I agree with Eyetalgal that there's a good chance your relative is from Licata in the province of Agrigento.
If you can give us the name of your relative, perhaps we can locate a ship manifest or other document which can verify this.
Biff
Welcome to the forum!
I agree with Eyetalgal that there's a good chance your relative is from Licata in the province of Agrigento.
If you can give us the name of your relative, perhaps we can locate a ship manifest or other document which can verify this.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"
Girgenti no longer exists as a real place having been renamed Agrigento which is both a city and a capital of the province of the same name. Licata is one of the surrounding towns and villages under the administrative jurisdiction of Agrigento province in Sicily. Your in good hands for any questions or research objectives you may be contemplating. =Peter=
- runningoat5
- Newbie

- Posts: 19
- Joined: 19 Dec 2007, 06:29
- Location: Central Coast, CA
Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"
Licata in Agrigento would make a lot of sense with some of the other family history. Thanks for all your help!
Bryan C. -- Rocket Scientist in Training
Known Family Names: Costanza / Costanzo, Mantia, Luchessi, Maggesi, Cardamone, Ratchford, Petterson, Luddy, Bensinger, Custer, Fritsch / Fritz, Edelman
Known Family Names: Costanza / Costanzo, Mantia, Luchessi, Maggesi, Cardamone, Ratchford, Petterson, Luddy, Bensinger, Custer, Fritsch / Fritz, Edelman
Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"
hi runningoat, i have kinfolk named licata in aragona that I am working on getting info for dual citizenship, interesting!!
