NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
The photo shows URCOLO as the surname....where did you get URGOLA from?? Further there are very many Italian heraldic websites and herladic websites which include Italian heraldry. Please advise why the translation of URCOLO into URGOLA? =Peter=
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
I beg to differ Peter... you are wrong!PeterTimber wrote:The photo shows URCOLO as the surname....where did you get URGOLA from?? Further there are very many Italian heraldic websites and herladic websites which include Italian heraldry. Please advise why the translation of URCOLO into URGOLA? =Peter=
The >PHOTOGRAPH< of the document clearly shows the name as URGOLA.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
Dear Elba perhaps your correct but I would not accept the photo of a handrawn surname without someone certifying that the surname that appears on the photograph is URGOLA and not URCOLO or whatever other ending the surname enjoys (A.Q,O ??). Certainty is the goal here. =Peter=
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
Yes Peter, it is possible that whoever drew/copied the document made a mistake, but why they should do so I have no idea. But that is what the original poster required translated. To him that explanation of the coat of arms is connected to his family and therefore is of importance.
If that is the only form of documentation he has, whether it is of poor quality or not, then it desrves a true translation of the word/name and text as shown in his photograph.
It would not be right for a translator to say "That name is incorrect!" On what could such a statement be based? So I think until another document is produced which says that the name URGOLA does not exist and should therefore always be read as URCOLO, I'll stick by my view of the name being Urgola!
Sorry!
If that is the only form of documentation he has, whether it is of poor quality or not, then it desrves a true translation of the word/name and text as shown in his photograph.
It would not be right for a translator to say "That name is incorrect!" On what could such a statement be based? So I think until another document is produced which says that the name URGOLA does not exist and should therefore always be read as URCOLO, I'll stick by my view of the name being Urgola!
Sorry!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
Dear Elba we are of one mind on this. I held open the possiblity that the depiction may not be correct and that certainty is required since a doubt has arisen and that a drawing is not defintiive. We are of one mind and I agree with you. I did not state the surname was wrong I stated that it needs some certification as to its authenticity. =Peter=
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
"Just" sent me this so I re sized here and thought I would post to see if anyone could help...he enlargened the text to make it more legible.
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
nuccia wrote:"Just" sent me this so I re sized here and thought I would post to see if anyone could help...he enlargened the text to make it more legible.
The first memoirs of this family arise in 1335, an era in which a Tolomeo, in the Cathedral of Assisi swore loyalty to Biondo Michelotti, Lord of the city in 1394. An Innocenzo was the Prior of the same Cathedral in 1x46 (?) and then general Vicar. Francesco was a famous (sximoxe conxxxxtuale) and preacher in 1686.
Giovan Francesco fought with honour in various wars and was Captain of the (Perdoxxo) in 1547.
Dizionarico storico (Xlasonice) pag.37 vol 3°
As you can see I was unable to read some words, and could not make out the words on the stamp bottom right. Sorry!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
Ricordo comunque che trovare un cognome uguale al proprio da qualche parte NON vuol dire avere la stessa storiaelba wrote:The first memoirs of this family arise in 1335, an era in which a Tolomeo, in the Cathedral of Assisi swore loyalty to Biondo Michelotti, Lord of the city in 1394. An Innocenzo was the Prior of the same Cathedral in 1546 and then general Vicar. Francesco was a famous (minore conventuale) and preacher in 1686.
Giovan Francesco fought with honour in various wars and was Captain of the (Perdono) in 1547.
Dizionarico storico (blasonico) pag.37 vol 3° [ http://www.unilibro.it/find_buy/Scheda/ ... 1890__.htm ]
Luca
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
The word Tolomeo is COLONICO (use a magnifying glass) is a latin word COLONUS=relating to colonial recruit levied in Roman colonies.
I interpret this to mean that someone from the feudal "colony" (fief?)swore an oath of fidelity to Biondo Michelotti in 1394. =Peter=
I interpret this to mean that someone from the feudal "colony" (fief?)swore an oath of fidelity to Biondo Michelotti in 1394. =Peter=
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
The word is Tolomeo.PeterTimber wrote:The word Tolomeo is COLONICO =Peter=
Luca
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
Peter - let's get things clear here - I don't NEED a magnifying glass the NAME is clearly TOLOMEO which is the equivalent of Tolomy or Ptolomy or a shortened form of (Bar)tolomeo....PeterTimber wrote:The word Tolomeo is COLONICO (use a magnifying glass) is a latin word COLONUS=relating to colonial recruit levied in Roman colonies.
I interpret this to mean that someone from the feudal "colony" (fief?)swore an oath of fidelity to Biondo Michelotti in 1394. =Peter=
Perhaps you would like to look at this:
>Tolomeo<
THEN compare that initial letter 'T' with the initial 'C' of Cattedrale....
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
and see the difference between Perdomo and Priore...=Peter=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!
Maybe the author of the piece was Bi-Polar? =Peter=


