NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by PeterTimber »

The photo shows URCOLO as the surname....where did you get URGOLA from?? Further there are very many Italian heraldic websites and herladic websites which include Italian heraldry. Please advise why the translation of URCOLO into URGOLA? =Peter=
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by elba »

PeterTimber wrote:The photo shows URCOLO as the surname....where did you get URGOLA from?? Further there are very many Italian heraldic websites and herladic websites which include Italian heraldry. Please advise why the translation of URCOLO into URGOLA? =Peter=
I beg to differ Peter... you are wrong!
The >PHOTOGRAPH< of the document clearly shows the name as URGOLA.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba perhaps your correct but I would not accept the photo of a handrawn surname without someone certifying that the surname that appears on the photograph is URGOLA and not URCOLO or whatever other ending the surname enjoys (A.Q,O ??). Certainty is the goal here. =Peter=
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by elba »

Yes Peter, it is possible that whoever drew/copied the document made a mistake, but why they should do so I have no idea. But that is what the original poster required translated. To him that explanation of the coat of arms is connected to his family and therefore is of importance.

If that is the only form of documentation he has, whether it is of poor quality or not, then it desrves a true translation of the word/name and text as shown in his photograph.

It would not be right for a translator to say "That name is incorrect!" On what could such a statement be based? So I think until another document is produced which says that the name URGOLA does not exist and should therefore always be read as URCOLO, I'll stick by my view of the name being Urgola!

Sorry!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba we are of one mind on this. I held open the possiblity that the depiction may not be correct and that certainty is required since a doubt has arisen and that a drawing is not defintiive. We are of one mind and I agree with you. I did not state the surname was wrong I stated that it needs some certification as to its authenticity. =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by nuccia »

"Just" sent me this so I re sized here and thought I would post to see if anyone could help...he enlargened the text to make it more legible.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by elba »

nuccia wrote:"Just" sent me this so I re sized here and thought I would post to see if anyone could help...he enlargened the text to make it more legible.


The first memoirs of this family arise in 1335, an era in which a Tolomeo, in the Cathedral of Assisi swore loyalty to Biondo Michelotti, Lord of the city in 1394. An Innocenzo was the Prior of the same Cathedral in 1x46 (?) and then general Vicar. Francesco was a famous (sximoxe conxxxxtuale) and preacher in 1686.
Giovan Francesco fought with honour in various wars and was Captain of the (Perdoxxo) in 1547.

Dizionarico storico (Xlasonice) pag.37 vol 3°


As you can see I was unable to read some words, and could not make out the words on the stamp bottom right. Sorry!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by Lucap »

elba wrote:The first memoirs of this family arise in 1335, an era in which a Tolomeo, in the Cathedral of Assisi swore loyalty to Biondo Michelotti, Lord of the city in 1394. An Innocenzo was the Prior of the same Cathedral in 1546 and then general Vicar. Francesco was a famous (minore conventuale) and preacher in 1686.
Giovan Francesco fought with honour in various wars and was Captain of the (Perdono) in 1547.

Dizionarico storico (blasonico) pag.37 vol 3° [ http://www.unilibro.it/find_buy/Scheda/ ... 1890__.htm ]
Ricordo comunque che trovare un cognome uguale al proprio da qualche parte NON vuol dire avere la stessa storia :!:

Luca
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by PeterTimber »

The word Tolomeo is COLONICO (use a magnifying glass) is a latin word COLONUS=relating to colonial recruit levied in Roman colonies.

I interpret this to mean that someone from the feudal "colony" (fief?)swore an oath of fidelity to Biondo Michelotti in 1394. =Peter=
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by Lucap »

PeterTimber wrote:The word Tolomeo is COLONICO =Peter=
The word is Tolomeo.

Luca
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by elba »

PeterTimber wrote:The word Tolomeo is COLONICO (use a magnifying glass) is a latin word COLONUS=relating to colonial recruit levied in Roman colonies.

I interpret this to mean that someone from the feudal "colony" (fief?)swore an oath of fidelity to Biondo Michelotti in 1394. =Peter=
Peter - let's get things clear here - I don't NEED a magnifying glass the NAME is clearly TOLOMEO which is the equivalent of Tolomy or Ptolomy or a shortened form of (Bar)tolomeo....

Perhaps you would like to look at this:

>Tolomeo<

THEN compare that initial letter 'T' with the initial 'C' of Cattedrale....
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by PeterTimber »

and see the difference between Perdomo and Priore...=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: NEED HELP TRANSLATING FAMILY COAT OF ARMS!!!!

Post by PeterTimber »

Maybe the author of the piece was Bi-Polar? =Peter=
Post Reply