Consul appointments: should we bring a lawyer?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Consul appointments: should we bring a lawyer?

Post by dannyjosa »

I am income damaged by COVID-19 so am seeking to do a DIY application, but I could consider sensibly prices lawyers/translators too.

Just wondering what people's experience has been. Are they kind and helpful at the Consul, or should we be accompanied by lawyers to ensure we are treated well? Presumably, as long as we have 99% of the documents that are requested,then they should be nice? I have minor discrepanies in my available documents, so I am wondering if I should bring a lawyer with me.

Also: I am looking to hire a normal translator, instead of one with "traduttore giurato", do you think this is fine? I don't see any rules about translator qualifications.

Any advice would be appreciated! Grazie!
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Consul appointments: should we bring a lawyer?

Post by mler »

Lawyer? Absolutely NOT!!!

Avepally through Fiverr did my translations. Excellent work and reasonable. You will find others as well.

At the consulate, you will find the evaluator to be competent and businesslike. If there are issues that need correction, he/she will inform you. Btw, the appointment is for YOU; a lawyer will not be permitted to accompany you.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Re: Consul appointments: should we bring a lawyer?

Post by dannyjosa »

Thanks for the ideas! Ill check Fiver. Would you hire a lawyer at any stage? Or just present the documents and hope for the best?

If something doesn’t emerge this month, ill be applying with baptism and military records instead of a birth certificate for my ancestor.. my ancestor was born 1851 which is before Rome kept birth certificates. do you think that I could be treated negatively for that? Thanks
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Consul appointments: should we bring a lawyer?

Post by mler »

No lawyer at any stage unless you are a 1948 applicant. Bring what you have at your appointment. They will review your documentation and tell you what, if anything, needs to be added or corrected.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Re: Consul appointments: should we bring a lawyer?

Post by dannyjosa »

FYI: you aren't permitted to bring a lawyer in, nor any guest. Only the applicant may attend!
Post Reply